Homemade Pesto Sauce
- 2c fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/3c freshly grated parmesan-reggiano or romano cheese
- 1/2c extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3c pine nuts
- 3 medium sized garlic cloves
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine basil, garlic and pine nuts in food processor. Pulse several times. Scrape down the sides of the food processor with rubber spatula. Slowly add the olive oil pouring in a steady stream while the food processor is on. Add grated cheese, sea salt and ground pepper. Pulse again until blended.
Several ways to enjoy freshly made pesto:
- Freeze it in ice cube trays and pull one out to liven up some whole wheat pasta!
- Add to roasted, grilled or mashed potatoes!
- Use as a marinade for chicken or fish!
- Mix it with greek yogurt for a healthy pesto mayonnaise spread or dip for toast and pita bread!
- Spice up your egg white omelet!
- Serve over sauteed shrimp or whip up a homemade whole wheat pesto pizza!