Healthy, hearty pumpkin chili! NEW recipe!
Happy day-before-Halloween! If you’ve been following me for awhile, you know I love a good chili, and really anything that has tons of protein and requires very little time in the kitchen. I like things simple and easy, so a one-pot meal that I can eat for, like, 4 days in a row is perfect.
Healthy, Hearty Pumpkin Chili
- two packages of lean, grass-fed organic ground beef (94% or leaner)
- 1/2 cup chili powder
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbs garlic salt
- 1 tbsp paprika
- red pepper flakes to taste
- moderate dusting of ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh or canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cups Constadine tomato sauce
- 1 15oz, or 1-2 cups, pureed pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling!)
- 1/2 cup minced red or white onion
- 1 cup frozen corn kernals
- 1 15oz can of low-sodium kidney beans
- 1 15oz can of low-sodium black beans
- 1 15oz can of low-sodium pinto beans
- Uncle Ben’s :90 brown rice
- Optional toppings: fat-free Lifetime cheddar cheese, avocado, cilantro, 0% greek yogurt (sour cream substitute), hot salsa, hot sauce
Cook two packages of meat in a large, pam-sprayed pot on medium heat with oil. Add 1/4 cup water if the meat is extremely lean so the meat breaks off into smaller pieces. Stir constantly until browned.
Stir in beans, corn, tomatoes/sauce, pumpkin and onions. Don’t drain canned products. Add all spices. Mix. Depending on how thick you like your chili, you can add more tomato sauce and/or water. Adding pumpkin gives great flavor, but tends to thicken it a bit much.
Simmer on low heat with a lid for 15-20 minutes. Serve hot in a bowl over brown rice with your favorite toppings, or plain! You can also reheat the chili and make a whole wheat wrap burrito or sandwich it between two wraps on a skillet to make a homemade quesadilla (just strain out extra liquid first).
I hope you enjoy this cozy Fall meal as much as I do!
… OH and PS. while you are grocery shopping, use your IgniteGirls “quinoa, kale & coffee™” grocery tote! This is also a great travel tote because the top zippers closed.
Become an IgniteGirls+ Member for just $9! See what it includes below:
Sign up to receive your FREE IgniteGirls 7-Day Detox Plan, plus receive discounts and other goodies!