❤ Strawberry shortcake protein cupcakes recipe! ❤
Lately, I’ve really been craving some sweets. Strawberries are one of my favorite fruits, and I thought that if I could make a badass vanilla cupcake with a strawberry twist, then this would make a great Valentine’s Day dessert.
Here is what you’ll need for the cupcakes:
- 1/2 cup oat flour (make your own or use Bob’s Red Mill like I do)
- 1/2 cup almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill – he’s the man!)
- 5 scoops Lean Body for Her vanilla protein powder (by Jamie Eason and LaBrada Nutrition)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 organic egg whites
- 2 organic whole eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp organic coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp organic real whipped butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups chopped and mulled organic strawberries
- optional: pink sugar crystals or sprinkles
Making the cake batter:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients and mix. Then add all wet ingredients, except strawberries, and mix again. Next fold strawberries into the cupcake batter. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners and fill each cup three-quarters of the way with batter. Bake 20-25 minutes or until the top of the cupcakes are lightly browned and bounce back when touched. Cool completely before frosting. Serve immediately after frosting or keep chilled in the refrigerator in an airtight container. See below for frosting recipe!
For the frosting, you will need:
- 2 cups organic heavy or whipping cream
- 2-4 tbsp stevia (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
How to whip up the perfect frosting:
Chill the bowl and whisk attachment of a stand mixer for 20 minutes in the refrigerator (or 5 minutes in the freezer). Pour the heavy cream into the bowl and whisk on medium-high speed until it just starts to thicken. Slow the speed down to medium and sprinkle in the stevia. Continue to whisk until soft peaks form. Then add the vanilla extract and continue to whisk by hand until the frosting is smooth and stiff peaks form.
* You can also add 1/2 – 1 cup of strawberry puree for a fresh strawberry-flavored frosting. If you decide to do this, please note it will increase the amount of frosting. You may also want to add more stevia and skip the vanilla extract.
frosting recipe modified from finecooking.com
If you want to start training with me to lose weight and join over 40+ other members, check out the IgniteGirls+ training program. Only 4 workouts per week! I’ll tell you exactly what to do in the gym.