Stuffed Lean Protein Peppers & How I Avoid Pregnancy Stretch Marks
I have to admit that I hate blogging, but I know it’s great for those of you that visit the site regularly to keep everything in one place. So since I’m two blog posts behind… I’m combining them into one helpful post!
Stuffed Lean Protein Peppers
- 6 colorful bell peppers
- 2 lbs organic, grass-fed lean beef
- 1 package :90 cook brown rice
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can organic, sodium-free diced tomatoes or sauce
- 3 tbsp fresh crushed or minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- sprinkle of fresh parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup organic, shredded mozzarella cheese
Wash bell peppers and slice in half, vertically. Remove all seeds and white membrane. Cover with water and boil in a large pot for 5 minutes, or until softened. Drain peppers and set aside.
In a large skillet, cook ground beef and diced onion over medium heat in olive oil until browned. Add all spices, cooked brown rice and canned tomatoes/sauce. Mix well.
Place pepper halves, open side up, on a cookie sheet and stuff with meat mixture. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Top with cheese the last 2-3 minutes and bake until melted. Top with fresh parmesan cheese.
photo by Ann White Photography
My itchy tummy cure for that ever-stretching pregnancy belly is to moisturize, moisturize, moisturize, so I pull out the all-natural, big guns for this job and these include a combination of:
- Jojoba Oil – an oil extracted from the seeds of a shrub that can be used as a moisturizer immediately after a shower or bath to seal in moisture. Dry scalp? Dip a Q-tip into the oil and lightly comb it through dry areas. You can also add jojoba oil to your bath as a soft skin soak. My last pregnancy was throughout the cold months when heat was on blast in the house and air was cold, leaving me feeling particularly dried out. Apply a few drops onto chapped lips (or use an all-natural BareBelle® lip balm made with shea butter and coconut oil like me). Feels great on my skin and absorbs leaving a dry oil, non-greasy feel.
- Cocoa Butter – a pale-yellow vegetable fat that is extracted from the cocoa bean and is used to make chocolate. It has an actual sweet cocoa smell which I love. I use Palmer’s with Vitamin E, and I make sure to use the one with the hand pump because it’s very thick. Feels like the ultimate moisturizer, but can make you feel hot in Summer months when you want your skin to breathe a bit more. Also great for cracked heels and other very dry areas.
- Coconut Oil – a healthy saturated fat that is both edible and useful for DIY beauty remedies is a miracle worker when it comes to any skin disorders or inconsistencies. Pregnancy seems to bring out the worst in my skin. Apply coconut oil directly to areas that may suffer from acne, psoriasis and eczema. Coconut oil’s protein content replaces sick and dying cells that occur with skin disorders, with new, healthy cells. Apply a thin, single layer to avoid a wet, oily look and feel. Smells light and goes on smooth. Visual improvements can be seen in just a few days.
I also strongly feel that my daily use of these oils and body butters prevented me from getting crazy stretch marks. I only have two on the bottom right of my belly from the last 3 weeks of pregnancy! Of course use of these products can’t guarantee zero stretch marks, but keeping your skin soft, moisturized and elastic as your belly stretches can strongly decrease your chances. Genetics also play a vital role in how you carry and how your skin bounces back postpartum.
PS. LAST CALL for the Sugar Momma Challenge™ sign ups!
A few years ago, I started this sugar-free challenge within our group of members as a way to educate them on reading labels, to show them how to identify hidden sugars and to re-motivate them as the Summer came to a close and school was back in swing.
So what is the Sugar Momma Challenge?
This is an annual challenge hosted by IgniteGirls® Fitness where you commit to going sugar-free for 30 days. (Um, what?!) Yup. SUGAR. FREE. But, really, you can do 30 days of anything. During this free challenge, I will be sharing sugar-free recipes, an accountability calendar that you can download and print to help you every single day and on-going motivation to get you through the 30-day challenge.
Here are some additional free tools I’m sharing to get you started:
- The actual Sugar Momma Challenge™ – register by entering your name and email so you can receive everything I’ll be sharing straight to your inbox such as the SMC grocery list, SMC cheat sheets and a 30-day workout plan.
- The IgniteGirls Community Facebook group – post questions, share your triumphs or reach out for support from other IgniteGirls. I check in daily!
- Accountability calendar and workout schedule – daily reminders, fit tips, the upcoming blog schedule, recipe ideas, and tons more to keep you motivated every single day.
- The SMC Pinterest board – sugar-free recipes, inspirational quotes and other strategies to get you through the 30 day challenge
During the Sugar Momma Challenge™ I will teach you how to:
- lose weight, burn fat and increase your energy
- detox your body from sugar
- read nutrition labels and eat/cook sugar-free
- change your inner monologue to help you succeed
I will be sharing:
- Sugar Momma Challenge™ Grocery List
- Sugar Momma Challenge™ Quickie Cheat Sheet
- Sugar Momma Challenge™ Secret Sugar List
- Sugar Momma Challenge™ 30-Day Workout Plan
- weekly Sugar Momma Challenge™ approved recipes
- …& more motivation every week!!
“Thanks to the SMC I am still looking at sugar on all food labels. (Hubby) Ben loves Fage blended Greek Yogurt and always buys it, but I outlawed it from our house the other day when I realized that there are 20g of sugar! I told Ben that was more than a pop tart and proved it at Target… So thankful for your education!” – Courtney
I’m also sharing prize incentives. I’ll choose 3 winners to win our prize package, but you have to send in before/after photos in order to be eligible. Read those rules here. And check out the swag below!
How lucky are we to have such incredible sponsors?
And as crazy as it sounds, at 24 weeks pregnant, I’ll be doing this 30 day sugar-free challenge with you! I can’t wait to share my tips and strategies to help you succeed all month long.
– Coach Keri
** If you know someone that can use this free program, share this post! **